I am a final year student studying Marketing, Advertising and Communications. Having undertaken a 12-month placement at Microsoft last year, returning to student life has been a bit of a shock to the system! With only 2 months left to go, I'm excited for the next chapter in my life and ever the optimist, I'll be tackling lifes challenges with the outlook that the glass is always half full!

Saturday 18 May 2013

The Adventure Begins

So here I am... In Sri Lanka!

I managed to cross the world all alone without getting lost or losing anything. That's an accomplishment right there! 

For those who don't know, I'm doing a volunteer project in Sri Lanka for a month and hope to get involved with teaching English, helping in an orphanage and lots more!  

I arrived at Colombo and was picked up by my wonderful driver Douglas and a Dutch girl named Sophie who is also volunteering. 

The journey from Colombo to Galle was pretty eye opening in itself. The roads are  MAD!! There are literally no rules, everyone crosses into each others lanes and over take constantly. I had a few near death experiences but finally made it to the house where I'll be staying with around 10 other volunteers. 

As soon as I got here Sophie and I wasted no time and got ourselves to the beach by means of a tuk tuk! Again... I saw my life flash before me several times! But it was fun! And in fact I felt pretty confident that the drivers know what they're doing despite my concerns. 

In the evening we had a meal cooked for us which was really tasty and a little spicy (I'll have to get used to that) and chilled out with the other volunteers! 

The humidity here is crazy! Wish me luck on my first nights sleep with a poxy fan to keep me cool.... 

Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment