I am a final year student studying Marketing, Advertising and Communications. Having undertaken a 12-month placement at Microsoft last year, returning to student life has been a bit of a shock to the system! With only 2 months left to go, I'm excited for the next chapter in my life and ever the optimist, I'll be tackling lifes challenges with the outlook that the glass is always half full!

Tuesday 21 May 2013

I Want One

This morning I was allocated the nursery school project, which is in the same location as the community project that I did yesterday afternoon. 

There are three different classes (this time each had a teacher) and originally I was put in the same class (5 year olds) as another volunteer, Lisa. I spent my time sat at one of the miniature tables and chairs making bunny rabbit masks which the kids found highly intriguing. Regularly the kids from other tables would wonder over, but would quickly be slapped by the teacher and told to go back to their own table. 

The kids continuously called "teacher, teacher" at me and then babbled in Sinhalese to which I tended to nod and smile (I could have been saying yes to anything...) . 

After a little while I was whisked into the classroom with 3-4 year olds and I helped them to do colouring, colouring and more colouring. At least they'll leave school being brilliant at colouring within the lines if nothing else! 

My main job was really keeper of the peace. There was always someone pinching another child or pulling their hair. Although surprisingly when I told them to stop they would actually stop, so it wasn't too much of a problem... Wouldn't have got away with it at Springdale mind you! 

Lunch time was interesting, not a sandwich in sight!! Instead the majority ate curry, rice and noodles and mostly with their hands. There were also a number of kids who insisted on stealing other people's food. They would literally just wander up to other children and start eating their food, as if they'd never been fed! 

In the afternoon I was back at the orphanage and arrived to see all of the toddlers and older babies out in the garden running around in the fresh air which was really nice to see! 

Before joining them outside, it was time for nappy duty. I walked in to immediately see my favourite (shush) baby so picked him up and whisked him over to the baby change table. What a mistake.... 

I had to deal with my first pooey baby! UGHH. I managed to get through it without throwing up, then moved on to the next baby. ERROR. Another pooey baby! Well, luck wasn't really on my side was it! 

After getting over the trauma and feeling like I'd now well and truly entered woman hood, I was able to move on to the fun stuff. It was so sad to see all of the smaller babies (including new borns who were amazingly tiny and looked like they might break if I touched them) stuck in their cots in a stinky dark room. So I took a few babies outside to get some air. 

In the end I felt so bad for them that I tackled two at a time (twins? Bring it!). Of course one of them was who I deemed to be my favourite. He just longed to be cuddled and would cling his arms and legs around me for dear life. I ended up giving him dinner and it was the easiest job as he seemed so desperate for the food! On my two trips there I haven't seen any babies given water which concerns me a little! Although (apart from the raspy coughs that many of them have) they all seem in pretty good health. 

All in all, it's day two and I'm already getting attached. I want one!! (Family members don't panic, I won't actually be coming home with a surprise Sri Lankan baby) 

Bye x

No comments:

Post a Comment