I am a final year student studying Marketing, Advertising and Communications. Having undertaken a 12-month placement at Microsoft last year, returning to student life has been a bit of a shock to the system! With only 2 months left to go, I'm excited for the next chapter in my life and ever the optimist, I'll be tackling lifes challenges with the outlook that the glass is always half full!

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Beach Life

First things first, I saw a monkey run across the road in front of our tuk tuk today! Pretty cool (and surreal). There are also loads of random cows that roam the roads which is weird. As Beyonce would say...Who run the world? Cows. 

Moving on... there were a lot of volunteers at the orphanage today, especially as boys from a local school were visiting for the morning too. So for most of the time I stayed out of the way and individually took babies outside to get some air. 

This is one of the adorable little babs (not sure how old but can't yet stand on his own).

I also held one of the diddy babies today who had arms and legs no bigger than a mans thumb. I literally felt like I was going to break him he was so fragile. 

In the afternoon me and a few of the volunteers went to the nursing school to help the trainee nurses with their English. However, as it's a special full moon this Friday (they have a bank holiday every full moon (I know) but this month's is extra special... I need to find out why!) all of the students were making lanterns. 


The surroundings of the nursing school are really beautiful and as I wasn't much help on the lantern front and was melting from the heat in the classroom, I decided to explore...


We left pretty swiftly and headed to the beach as the students are our sort of age and were engrossed in their lantern building and quite the experts, so didn't need our help. 

Also as it's monsoon season, despite it being swelteringly hot and humid night and day, it's best to make the most of the sunshine! 

Walk down to the beach from the bus. Starpipels Coffee sign, look familiar?? 

Unawatuna Beach 

Our regular spot outside Lucky Tuna Hotel and Cafe (and mister pineapple man). 

On the way home, having got a bus to Galle, we decided to splash out and pay 50 rupees (25p) each to get a tuk tuk the rest of the way home. From the hundreds of tuk tuk drivers, we opted for one that looked like he may keel over on the journey and had a bottle of some kind of spirit beside him. The logical choice obviously. 

Worryingly, a bottle of spirit beside the driver is common! They all seem to know what they're doing though so hey, maybe we should learn from them... 

...or not. 

Chow X



No comments:

Post a Comment