I am a final year student studying Marketing, Advertising and Communications. Having undertaken a 12-month placement at Microsoft last year, returning to student life has been a bit of a shock to the system! With only 2 months left to go, I'm excited for the next chapter in my life and ever the optimist, I'll be tackling lifes challenges with the outlook that the glass is always half full!

Monday 10 June 2013

Did I Actually Just Do That?

Last weekend definitely had me questioning... Did I just do that?!?? 

Before I go off on one about Adam's Peak, I'd best explain what it is. Simply put, it's a place where four different religions go to worship, which makes it quite unique. At the top of a massive mountain, is a temple and pilgrims climb to the top to worship (and tourists climb to the top to see a breath-taking view and sunrise). 

It's 6km to the top which doesn't sound too intense, I could probably run it in half an hour (maybe)...but add a steep incline and 6,200 steps and it takes on another level! 

We'd heard from other volunteers that it was a must do as the view was just incredible, but they emphasised that it was a must do once and once only, as it was so hard and they ached for days. So of course, I needed to do it! 

So a group of 8 of us set off at 8pm on Saturday night (after having been out until 5am that morning...wise) as the journey would take 6 hours and it was best to start the climb at 2am so as to see the sunrise. When we arrived our worse fears had come true... It was pouring with rain, and I mean pouring. Try standing in a power shower and you'd get the same effect... What makes it worse is it was freezing as we were so high! 

But having travelled 6 hours, it was a must do! So we met up with our guide and began the climb. The rain was so intense that almost immediately my trousers were soaked through and the leggings underneath, I even had to wear my backpack underneath my rain coat, mainly to save the life of my poor iPhone inside.

As we got higher, the steps got steeper and less and less like steps, a better description would be a waterfall. Yes. We were climbing up a waterfall. 

Finally after 3 and half hours of pretty much constant climbing, very sore legs, entirely soaking wet bodies and strangely positive attitudes, we made it to the top!! 

And what a sunrise it was.....

 
Uhoh, this was the beautiful view, the beautiful sunrise which is the whole reason we put ourselves through the trauma. Grey, grey, grey and a closed temple! By this time we had become a little delirious so found the whole situation oddly amusing! 

We even found refuge in what looks like a crack den... 


Finally, after 6 and half hours in total, we made it back to our mini bus and I endured a 6 hour drive home in soaking wet clothes with air con blasting out. 

I would have to say it's the hardest thing I have ever done and I'm still aching almost a week later, with not even a nice picture to warrant the hell i put myself through. But hey ho weirdly I don't even regret it. On my way to carefree hippy. 

Ciao x

 
I did get one cool picture which I felt was worthy of bringing my iPhone into the rain for...amazing waterfall!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment