I am a final year student studying Marketing, Advertising and Communications. Having undertaken a 12-month placement at Microsoft last year, returning to student life has been a bit of a shock to the system! With only 2 months left to go, I'm excited for the next chapter in my life and ever the optimist, I'll be tackling lifes challenges with the outlook that the glass is always half full!

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Bangkok has me now!


After my 7 hour wait in the car park, we decided to take a train instead of a taxi then hop onto a tuk tuk to keep things cheap. What a mistake... The tuk tuk dropped us god knows where, we then took a million more trains and boat rides... finally resorting to a taxi having spent more than it would have originally cost! 4 hours later (it should have taken 30 mins) we made it to Khan San Road where loads of backpackers stay. Hopefully this was not a sign of things to come... 

It was now late at night so we caught some sleep in our £10 a night hostel and woke up bright and early the next day to start exploring. 

We visited many temples which were so beautiful and detailed. They had much more intricate detail and glitz than the ones I'd seen in Sri Lanka. At Wat Benchamabophut (catchy name) there was a giant gold Buddha. 


I also decided to copy another tourist and sit in the door way of the temple. Well a local woman was not happy with that! I got an old school telling off. A word of warning to future travellers... 


We also went on a canal boat ride and fed the fishes for 'good luck' (any excuse for money). They were manic and their must have been thousands and thousands of them! 


That night after having some dinner we made a visit to Pat Pong to see what these famous ping pong shows were all about. WOW did we get more than we bargained for!!!! Interesting and never again is all I can say! 

The next day we visited Wat Prakaeo, or in English... the Grand Palace. I dressed in what I thought were appropriate clothes, but was told that my leggings were too 'sexy sexy' so I had to rent a skirt. I quite enjoyed my Indian look...


Inside the palace was manic. There were Chinese people running around frantically taking pictures EVERYWHERE! The whole palace was so amazing though, the detail was incredible, like nothing I've seen before. I can't even imagine the length of time it took to build and decorate so many buildings, each with such different detail and design. 


....I just thought he was cute...
...the little boys ok too. 

In the evening we got a 10 hour VIP bus ride up to Chiang Mai. I'm getting used to these long journeys! It wasn't bad at all, with air con, curtains, blankets and reclining seats. After hearing that the buses sometimes get hijacked, Kate and I took things to the extreme and chained our bags to the seats and hid our valuables down different parts of our clothes! 

You'll be happy to hear that all went well and I am now continuing to live the dream in Chiang Mai

X

No comments:

Post a Comment